Christopher Ward has released some new C70 Watches. The D – Type Chronograph featured here from £499 and the C70 3527 GT Chronometer – Limited Edition at £2150 This is expensive basically because it is a COSC chronometer and it has a piece of an Old Ferrari tucked behind some sapphire crystal glass on the back of the watch. Lovely we say, but not for us.. Check it out though at Christopherward.co.uk. This one though has caught our eye here at Beastie Folly and I could resist no more, so the order has gone in for one. So that’s it, our review is simple – we liked it so much we bought one.
Photographs and text below, courtesy of Christopher Ward.
Sir William Lyons of the Jaguar Car Company designed the sleek and finely streamlined D-Type entirely with Le Mans in mind, and from 1955 to 1957 he was rewarded with an historic hat-trick of victories there.
It was under the illustrious Flag Metallic Blue livery of Scotland’s Ecurie Ecosse team, however, that secured the most famous victory for the car when, driven by Britons Ron Flockhart and Ivor Bueb, chassis number XKD 606 stormed the race, ahead of another four D-Types in the top six places.
The C70 D-Type chronograph, powered by an ETA 251.272, 22 jewel quartz movement and dressed resplendently in the Ecurie Escosse team’s colours, carries the winning car’s chassis number in the tachymeter and the car’s registration on the side of the case. However, it is the attention to detail of the dial, where the D-Type’s various instruments are captured in the chrono eyes and the radiator grille has been faithfully reproduced, that best capture the spirit of this most famous of Jaguar’s racing cars. Until you look at the reverse of the case that is, where the car’s signature centre-lock spinner has been faithfully reproduced in our own signature three-dimensional deep stamped execution. Limited to only 500 pieces worldwide, this tour de force of a watch celebrates Sir William’s masterpiece in style and is certain to become the latest collector’s item in our celebrated C70 Motorsport Series.
- £499 on rubber or Lether strap
- £550 on Steel bracelet
- Swiss made
- Limited Edition of 500 pieces Worldwide
- 22 jewel Swiss quartz movement
- Chronograph with split minutes/seconds/1/10th seconds
- Marine-grade stainless steel case and screw-in crown
- Chassis number inscribed on internal tachymeter
- Number-plate engraved plate on case side
- Deep-stamped center-lock spinner feature on back-plate
- Convex sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating
- Multi-layered precision dial featuring honeycomb grille and dashboard detail
- Stainless steel buckle
- Tachymeter bezel
- Fine, twin-stitched Italian leather strap
- Luxury presentation case and owner’s handbook
- Diameter: 42mm
- Height: 11.8mm
- Weight: 73g
- Calibre: ETA 251.272
- Case: 316L stainless steel
- Water resistance: 10ATM
- Strap: 22mm Italian leather