This is a very handsome new offering from Christopher Ward. It is based on his very successful C8 Aviator style range and it allies the case to a very appealing vintage strap and a lovely movement which can be viewed from the back. The notion of an aviator watch which in reality is nigh on impossible to read at a quick glance is frankly strange, but for me it doesn’t matter as first, in truth I just wont wear this particular watch when I am flying my plane and secondly, I can forgive it this oddity as it is just so damned good looking! The price is a bargain for what it is, but that said it is a lot of money, so while it might go on my wish list, it might not actually go on my wrist! The C8 Regulator is available in Vintage Steel and Black PVD versions from £995. The official Christopher Ward description for the watch and more photos follow the break.
Before the advent of more modern methods of checking for the accuracy of a watch, watchmakers used a regulator clock where the hour, minute and second hands are operated separately, to check their work.
More recently, mechanical regulator watches were used during Second World War bombing raids when greater precision was essential and the aesthetic of the C8 Regulator has been strongly influenced by this period.
The most important hand, the minute hand, is centrally located, whilst the hours and seconds can be read from the two sub-dials which are established at the bi-polar points of the dial in traditional fashion. The Old Radium SuperLuminovaTM finish of the hands and indexes adds to the military feel of the watches as does the aviation theme of the over-sized crown and the superb distressed vintage leather strap. The new, CW patented, Bader deployment is also fitted as standard.
The 44mm C8 case always makes an important statement but it is the reverse of the case on the Regulator which will attract attention. A full-width transparent crystal back-plate allows the magnificent bespoke hand-wound Unitas 6498 movement to be seen in all its full resplendent glory. An unusual and special watch for those of you who don’t follow the herd.
- Swiss made
- Bespoke Unitas 6498 hand-wound mechanical regulator
- 40 hour power reserve
- Central continuous minute hand with separate 12 hour minute and 60 seconds sub-dials operated through central crown function
- Highly decorated Cote de Geneve movement finish
- Hand-finished, surgical grade, stainless steel case and crown
- Anti-reflective sapphire crystal
- Metal, one-piece 6-12 bi-compax dial
- SuperLuminovaTM Old Radium indexes with green emission
- Screw-down transparent case back
- Individually engraved serial number
- Vintage leather strap with Bader deployment
- Luxury presentation case and owner’s handbook
- Diameter: 44mm
- Calibre: Unitas 6498 (Mod.)
- Vibrations: 18,000 per hour
- Case: 316L Stainless steel
- Height: 11.0mm
- Weight: 109g
- Water Resistance: 5 atm/50 metres
- Strap: 22mm Vintage leather