Just a gorgeous photo of a stunning watch courtesy of Chopard. Here is how they introduce the watch on the Chopard Diary:
From May 16th to 19th, 2013 – and for the 25th consecutive year – Chopard are partnering the Mille Miglia race and serving as official timekeeper. This constancy testifies to the close ties between Chopard and the world of motor sports. The entirely redesigned chronograph celebrating the 2013 edition of “la corsa più belle del mondo” is a nod to the design of historical racing cars. Ergonomic, functional and sophisticated, the Mille Miglia 2013 is issued in two limited editions of 2’013 in steel, and 250 in rose gold.
Raced from 1927 to 1961 as a speed trial on open roads, the Mille Miglia has now become a rally. There is no longer any question of racing to and fro across Northern Italy in less than 20 hours. Instead, the event lasts three days. Nonetheless, it is not just a joy ride. The racing is competitive, the route is sinuous and the cars are every bit as powerful and capricious as one expects from such proud historical models. Only cars having taken part in the original race formula are entitled to compete. The teams can rely only on their driving skills, the indications provided in their road-book, as well as their time measuring instrument. The Mille Miglia 2013 is designed to play a key role in the race, just in the same way as a car engine or a suspension system.
The Mille Miglia 2013 is a self-winding chronograph featuring a 24-hour dual-time indication and a date display. The 42.8 mm-diameter case is topped by a generous 44 mm bezel, an ingenious association that preserves the imposing presence of the watch while making it a more comfortable fit on even the slimmest wrists. This quest for optimal ergonomics had also led to revamping the lugs that are now short and tapering so as to secure the watch more firmly to the wrist. The mushroom-shaped chronograph pushers enable smooth handling thanks to the nonslip knurled grid pattern on their surface ensuring a firm grip. Finally, the rubber strap with the 1960’s Dunlop racing-tyre motif is integrated with the case for a more flowing look and feel.
The dial of the Mille Miglia 2013 focuses on readability. The red sweep seconds hand is tipped with white to make it stand out. The light grey chronograph counters make a striking contrast with the rest of the anthracite grey dial. They provide a second level of functional read-off, detached from the rest of the dial and its information. The tachometric scale appears on the bezel, while the dual-time reading is positioned on the dial between the hour-markers. Another distinctive feature is the date that is now shown in the red arrow that has become the race logo, inherited from the signposts that enabled competitors to find their way from Brescia to Rome and back. This shape is also echoed on the hour-markers, which, along with the hands are enhanced with Superluminova to ensure the watch can be read at night inside a classic Maserati or Porsche.
The colour symbolising Italy’s passion for automobiles is the chromatic theme of the Mille Miglia 2013. This vibrant red shade frames the inner bezel ring, surrounds the counters and adorns the chronograph hands. The inimitable colour of racing, of adrenalin and of Italian gentlemen drivers, it sums up the warmth and depth of the close ties binding Chopard to the world of motor sports.
The Chopard Classic Racing collection stems from the passion nurtured by Co-President Karl-Friedrich Scheufele for historical cars and motor sports in general. A penchant for performance and speed, a passion for mechanics and tradition, a love of details and fine workmanship are all key character traits that have guided him towards the creation of this fascinating collection.
Discover the Chopard Classic Racing collection on http://www.chopard.com/classic-racing
• Steel or 18-carat rose gold
• Total diameter: 44.00 mm
• Thickness: 13.70 mm
• Water resistance: 100 metres
• Crown in steel or 18-carat rose gold with steering-wheel logo
• Steel or 18-carar rose gold pushers with knurled grid motif
• Glareproofed sapphire crystal
• Solid case-back in steel or 18-carat rose gold with 1000 Miglia arrow logo
• Mechanical self-winding chronograph
• Total diameter: 30.40 mm
• Number of jewels: 25
• Power reserve: 46 hours
• Frequency: 28,800 vph (4Hz)
• Chronometer-certified (COSC)
Dial and hands:
• Anthracite dial with three silver-toned snailed hollowed counters at 12, 6 and 9 o’clock
• Hour and minute hands as well as hour-markers rhodium-plated for the steel version and gold-plated for the 18-carat rose gold version – in both instances enhanced with Superluminova
• Black GMT hand with rhodium-plated or gold-plated Superluminova-enhanced arrow
• Red sweep seconds hand with white tip
• Red counter hands
Functions and displays
• Central display of the hours and minutes
• Small seconds at 9 o’clock
• Central dual-time display
• 30-minute counter at 12 o’clock, 12-hour counter at 6 o’clock and central sweep seconds hand
• Date window at 3 o’clock
• Tachometric scale
Strap and buckle:
• Integrated strap in natural black rubber (1960s Dunlop racing-tyre tread motif)
• Folding clasp in steel or 18-carat rose gold